Saturday, June 19, 2010

What I'm Reading.

The Year of The Flood, by Margaret Atwood.
It is, as anticipated, outstanding.  I’ve loved her since I read Lady Oracle by senior year of high school (it changed my life!).  I’ve read Cat’s Eye (one of my top ten favorite novels of all time!) and Surfacing twice, and I loved Oryx and Crake.  I've also devoured several of her other novels, all of which I've adored, to varying degrees.  I'm slowly working my way through all of her poetry and short fiction as well.  She’s so smart and her books are so brilliantly written, and her books have shone such a bright light into my life as a reader. 


It’s been a slow journey through the book so far, but I feel that no one does speculative fiction and magical realism quite like Ms. Atwood.  She imbues the story, setting and characters with her particular brand of politics in a clever and humorous way.  For those of us who share her views, Atwood offers a little wink-wink, nudge-nudge.  Which I happen to love.  I also love all varieties of speculation on potential utopianist leftist societies.  And post-apocalyptic anything.  So this is right up my alley.  I’m only about halfway through, but I’m enjoying the ride.

What are you reading?  What should I read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment