Monday, June 14, 2010

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.


I've been meaning to read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao for quite a while, and it was as good as everyone raved about it being.  Even with high expectations (and more than its fair share of violence), I enjoyed the story immensely.  I was terrifically sad when it ended-- not just because of the ending itself, but because the book was that good.  Everything about it is lush and well-drawn. The characters are nuanced and troubled and, ultimately, there are no tidy solutions.  But as a work, with interwoven and inter-generational story lines, it is so gratifying and well-executed.  It makes me want to visit the Dominican Republic and see where these stories took place, how these characters lived.  I thoroughly loved reading it.

So much so that ever since, it’s been tough to get into another novel.  Everything else is paling in comparison.  Of course, given the title, a sequel would have been impossible, but that doesn't keep me from wanting so much more.

I can’t wait to read Junot Diaz’s book of short stories, Drown.

No comments:

Post a Comment